Northeast Heights Self Storage Albuquerque, NM
Great Tips for Packing and Storage!
Whether you need to move some storage boxes to a self storage unit to de-clutter the house, or pack everything you own in order to move, you want to do it right. This means packing carefully and thinking ahead. Here are a few ideas to help prevent damage during moving and storage and make it easier to find things later.
- Use same size storage boxes when possible to aid in stacking.
- Fill each storage box completely to prevent top or sides from crushing. If your box is filled with odd shaped items, fill the open spaces with packing peanuts, bubble wrap or crumpled paper.
- Don’t make storage or moving boxes too heavy to move. Use larger boxes for items that don’t weigh too much.
- Use the right storage box – heavy duty boxes for books and heavy objects – consider wardrobe boxes for your clothing to allow them to hang while in storage.
- Stack books instead of standing them on end to preserve the spines.
- Stack plates on end after wrapping individually. Place like-sized items together and nest individually wrapped cups together.
- Wrap framed art in bubble wrap and use protective corners.
- Criss-cross masking tape across the face of mirrors and glass covered art.
- Store framed mirrors and artwork vertically – not flat.
- Label storage and moving boxes clearly and on more than one side. Write a general description or small inventory on each box to make it easier to find what you need when unpacking. Label “fragile” boxes.
- Clean items such as clothing, blankets, curtains and furniture before storing.
- Cover furniture with sheets or tarps to protect them.
- Place heavy items on the bottom of your moving van or storage unit.
- Place items that you use the least at the front of the moving van so they can easily be placed at the back of your storage unit.
- Place valuable items at the back of your storage unit.
- Place boxes of fragile items on top of other boxes.
- When choosing a storage unit, plan for a little more room than you expect your belongings to take up. This will allow space to walk between stacks of items and make it easier to find what you need after you store it. Leave a little room between walls and stored items to improve ventilation.
Taking a little time to plan and organize will make it much easier to find things in the future and less likely that anything will get damaged during a move or while in storage.
We take pride in knowing our Self Storage Specialists are the best in Albuquerque, with over 45 years of combined management experience. Our long term employees take pride in knowing their rental properties and their tenants and in helping to make your storage and/or moving experience just a bit more pleasant.
Call or come by with your questions and storage needs. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.
- Northeast Heights Self Storage
- 4801 Eubank NE Albuquerque, NM 87111